Monday, June 2, 2008

Rio Viento Vineyard - Year 2

The name Rio Viento, which means river wind, was chosen because it represents the unique micro climate created by the cool delta breezes. This climate along with the rich soil creates an ideal location to grow grapes. Last weekend we took a drive out to the ranch to check the progress of the vineyard. This is the 2nd year and the vines are doing very well. Shortly, the vines will be split and trained to grow across the trellis which will enable them to yield more fruit. Next year will be the first year that fruit will be harvested. It is exciting to watch the progress!

Close up of the chardonnay vine

Rows of vines with 2nd year growth (upper field)

View of the lower vineyard

4 comments:

PageOne said...

AWESOME! I love the name also. Your intro for this post is similar to the blurb on the back of a bottle of wine. Looking good!

PageOne said...

AWESOME! I love the name also. Your intro for this post is similar to the blurb on the back of a bottle of wine. Looking good!

PageOne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jon-paul, jessica, justin and della stefani said...

I'm so glad you posted some pictures, I've been wondering how it looks! Thanks for thinking of it. ;-)